Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Notices

Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:39 PM // 21:39   #1
Academy Page

SomeSayImFamous's Avatar

Location: New Hampshire
Profession: R/

Disable Ads
Exclamation Aion Account Check?

When you receive this message at the same time means that you have a routine account of our recent examination, was checking your account we have the evidence to prove that involved in the controversial game currency transaction so we had to take the necessary measures.
Please visit our web site https://secure.ncsoft.com/ as soon as possible to activate your account or we will suspend your account.

The NCsoft Team

I dont even play Aion and do not even have one on my ncsoft account is this a scam right here? I didnt click on the link I deleted the email right away.
SomeSayImFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:45 PM // 21:45   #2
Guest

yes it is a scam.
gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:45 PM // 21:45   #3
Krytan Explorer

Location: Louisiana
Profession: E/Me

Same here--got mine this morning, and I don't have an aion account. Forwarded to Gaile.
Martin Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:47 PM // 21:47   #4
Academy Page

SomeSayImFamous's Avatar

Location: New Hampshire
Profession: R/
Exclamation

Oh ok, Well I just wanted to know I usually stay away from that stuff. My master acct and my gwars acct has been hacked 3-4 times now and luckily everytime support has gotten it back to me in a day everytime. Its just frustrating how ppl go out of there way for a game. I mean literally.
SomeSayImFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:55 PM // 21:55   #5
Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSayImFamous View Post
Oh ok, Well I just wanted to know I usually stay away from that stuff. My master acct and my gwars acct has been hacked 3-4 times now and luckily everytime support has gotten it back to me in a day everytime. Its just frustrating how ppl go out of there way for a game. I mean literally.
make no mistake, they aren't going out of their way for a game. it's cash they are after.
gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:56 PM // 21:56   #6
Academy Page

SomeSayImFamous's Avatar

Location: New Hampshire
Profession: R/
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubber View Post
make no mistake, they aren't going out of their way for a game. it's cash they are after.

Yeah True but they dont know whats on an acct and honestly mine is useless as I use every dime on titles.
SomeSayImFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:51 PM // 22:51   #7
End
Forge Runner

End's Avatar

Location: Rubbing Potassium on water fountains.
Guild: LF guild that teaches MTSC (did it long ago before gw2 came out and I quit...but I barely remember)
Profession: N/A

Everyone seems to be getting these emails....kinda makes me sad I don't get any...
End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:58 PM // 22:58   #8
Hell's Protector

Quaker's Avatar

Location: Canada
Guild: Brothers Disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSayImFamous View Post
When you receive this message at the same time means that you have a routine account of our recent examination, was checking your account we have the evidence to prove that involved in the controversial game currency transaction so we had to take the necessary measures.
Please visit our web site https://secure.ncsoft.com/ as soon as possible to activate your account or we will suspend your account.
The poor grammar makes me think it's a scam. When you cursor over URL, does it show the same URL at the bottom of the window (or wherever your browser would show it)? That secure.ncsoft.com URL seems legit, but in the actual e-mail you'd probably find that it's really some other URL.

But, oddly enough I got an e-mail like that one time that actually was legit. Someone in the same ISP as me made a small typo when making an account and the confirmation e-mail ended up going to me.
Quaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:36 PM // 23:36   #9
Frost Gate Guardian

C4RB1N3's Avatar

Guild: Looking For One.
Profession: Mo/

lol wow these hackers never quit do they,..yeah there is ALOT of hacking attempts towards this game because it was just launched and in game currency and items are in high demand for RMT(sadly...)and these gold sellers and such cant reach demand with all there bots FINALLY getting banned so they turn to stealing from real players.and they way they get your email is through forums just like this, so a good suggestion is to set everything so that no one can see it but you, and also spread the word that plaync.com and ncsoft.com are the ONLY websites that belong to NCsoft .
C4RB1N3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:01 AM // 00:01   #10
Hall Hero

HawkofStorms's Avatar

Profession: E/

REMOVE THAT LINK IMMEDIATELY

It likely contains keyloggers.

The actual site is secure.plaync.com
HawkofStorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 12:41 AM // 00:41   #11
Jungle Guide

GODh's Avatar

Location: The Netherlands
Guild: BFTW and DLRR

I get 2 to 5 of this kind of email per day... most are for WoW, and i dont even play that. In the email they ask me to fill in some details about my account (including password, lol) so that they can "verify" it. Yeah right, i think you must be pretty stupid to fall for that. Although there are probably some ignorant people who click on everythting...
GODh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:29 AM // 03:29   #12
Forge Runner

Gift3d's Avatar

Location: Las Vegas
Guild: Enraged Whiny Carebears [oR]
Profession: W/E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkofStorms View Post
REMOVE THAT LINK IMMEDIATELY

It likely contains keyloggers.

The actual site is secure.plaync.com
you are an idiot.

the link on here leads you to the official ncsoft website

these emails have an alternate href, but since op c/p'd the plaintext and not the html, it shows up as the real url because the forum software does that automatically. i got the email as well and the alternate href links to a misspelled fake website.

not to mention secure.plaync.com is a nonexistant url. that's like a hat-trick fail, 3 in a row. congratulations buddy!

and just for the record, these are phishing emails, and you cannot get download and execute a virus on your computer from simply clicking on a link.

Last edited by Gift3d; Jan 08, 2010 at 03:34 AM // 03:34..
Gift3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:57 AM // 03:57   #13
Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift3d View Post
you cannot get download and execute a virus on your computer from simply clicking on a link.
if you are using an email client that allows scripting...
gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 04:45 AM // 04:45   #14
Forge Runner

Gift3d's Avatar

Location: Las Vegas
Guild: Enraged Whiny Carebears [oR]
Profession: W/E

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubber View Post
if you are using an email client that allows scripting...
if you're using outdated email "clients" and not using any antivirus or firewall you deserve to get the living shit hacked out of you, and in this example i'm giving the people on guru the benefit of the doubt by assuming we aren't *total* idiots. don't prove me wrong, pretty please?
Gift3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:01 AM // 05:01   #15
Guest

but you just said...

Quote:
you cannot get download and execute a virus on your computer from simply clicking on a link.
now it's outdated email clients, AV programs, and firewalls..deserve has nothing to do with it.

I'm glad to see you think the internets and it's inhabitants are up to snuff.

the following links are just for you.
http://www.us-cert.gov/reading_room/virus.html#virus

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fra...ng/reduce.aspx
gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 06:18 AM // 06:18   #16
Hall Hero

HawkofStorms's Avatar

Profession: E/

I wouldn't normally bother responding, but since you are being so snarky.

https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/pl...pl?language=en

That's the link that is a redirect to the secure.ncsoft.com which is the ACTUAL link posted on Aion's website.
http://na.aiononline.com/

Thus, when I saw the two being different, I was initially so suspicious.
HawkofStorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:16 AM // 09:16   #17
Ascalonian Squire

Damma's Avatar

Location: Isle of Meditation
Guild: Grandparents Are Gamers Too [Gag]
Question NCsoft Aion Account Check...for real??

Is this for real? Has anyone else gotten an email like this? Doesn't seem the correct way to be written. The subject line in the email says
"Aion Account Check". I haven't even looked into the Aion game at anytime.My husband plays GW too and he never got one.We never trade,buy or sell to anyone.

From: NCsoft Support ([email protected])
Subject: Aion Account Check
When you receive this message at the same time means that you have a routine account of our recent examination, was checking your account we have the evidence to prove that involved in the controversial game currency transaction so we had to take the necessary measures.
Please visit our web site (I deleted) as soon as possible to activate your account or we will suspend your account.

The NCsoft Team

I deleted the link just incase..

Last edited by Damma; Jan 08, 2010 at 09:20 AM // 09:20.. Reason: took out link to web site
Damma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:22 AM // 09:22   #18
Frost Gate Guardian

remus longblade's Avatar

Location: Somewhere, deep underground. Like Osama.
Guild: Illustrious Chromatic Engimas [ICE]
Profession: W/Mo

No. It's not legit. If you copy pasted that, look at the address: it's not support(at)ncsoft.com, it's a very close support(at)nsoft.com. They removed a letter (the c) hoping you wouldn't notice. Along with the numerous grammatical errors, there's a huge chance it's just a phishing scam.

I'd report the email address to NCSoft and see what they can do about it.

Last edited by remus longblade; Jan 08, 2010 at 09:24 AM // 09:24..
remus longblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:30 AM // 09:30   #19
Furnace Stoker

MisterB's Avatar

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy
Guild: [ban]
Profession: W/

Quote:
Originally Posted by remus longblade View Post
there's a huge chance it's just a phishing scam.
I would say it's a probability of 100%. Forward it to support(but use the correct email address; the email you received is fake), block the sender, delete it, trash it, forget about it.

Last edited by MisterB; Jan 08, 2010 at 09:33 AM // 09:33..
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:31 AM // 09:31   #20
Ascalonian Squire

Damma's Avatar

Location: Isle of Meditation
Guild: Grandparents Are Gamers Too [Gag]
Thumbs up Thank you..that's what I thought

Thank you,will be reporting it to them right away.
Damma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This Forum!